EndNote X9 for Mac and Windows is available for download from the Software Download Centre. We encourage all EndNote users to make backup copies of their libraries, uninstall X8, and install X9. We also encourage users to install regular updates to EndNote and Word as they are provided; this is especially true of Mac users. To have EndNote installed on your machine phone the IT Help Desk at x2800.
Over the next several weeks we will updating the EndNote LibGuide and posting about X9 here on our blog. In the meantime, here’s what’s new:
- Enhanced reference-sharing: The library owner can set read-write access rights for other library users.
- Manuscript matcher (EndNote and Word): Manuscript matcher uses citations in an existing paper or records in an existing library to suggest journals that might be interested in publishing your work.
- Four new reference types: Discussion Forum, Multimedia Application, Social Media, and Television Episode.
- Enhanced integration with Web of Science: EndNote X9 users can access Web of Science records or create a citation report from an EndNote library or group within a library
- Sharing custom groups: EndNote X9 users can share custom groups with other EndNote Online users from *EndNote desktop.
- View shared groups: EndNote X9 users can view a list of groups shared through EndNote online from EndNote desktop
*EndNote desktop is the version of EndNote installed on your local machine. EndNote online is the Web version of EndNote.
One-on-one EndNote training is available to Fox Chase employees. For more information about EndNote X9 or to schedule training please phone us at x2711 or email Talbot Library.
EndNote X8 is available for download on Machias. For more information about installing EndNote X8 please phone us at (215) 728-2711 or consult our EndNote Libguide. EndNote is not difficult to install yourself, but it is a two-step process. First, you need to install the installer and then you install the program. If you have an earlier version of EndNote installed please create backup copies of your libraries and then uninstall whatever version you have before installing X8.
Here is what’s new in EndNote X8
- Share your library with up to 100 other EndNote desktop users on X7.2 or later; providing teams with immediate real time access to the same set of references, attachments, notes and annotations.
- Access the Activity Feed to see what your colleagues are doing in the Shared Library and when new members join.
- New, modern, easy to identify icons – identical across both Mac and Windows.
- Updated workflows for finding reference updates.
- Every X8 library includes a built in Recently Added group which can be customized, allowing users to pick up right where they left off in the research workflow.
- Configure Sync option in the Groups pane to simplify desktop activation process.
- Utilize unlimited file attachment storage in your online library.
- Cite While You Write for Microsoft Word 2016.
We at the library are being trained on some of the new features including the improved sharing features. We will be sharing our knowledge with you.
There will be an EndNote class on Monday, January 30th at 10am in the library training room. There are nine seats available and it is first come first served.
EndNote X8 has been released but has yet to be uploaded to Machias. As soon as it becomes available we will let you know and begin training. In the meantime, continue using EndNote X7.
The Library is holding a basic EndNote X4 (Windows version) course on April 20th at 2pm. This is a great opportunity to experience the new version of EndNote!
We’ll be covering several topics, such as:
- navigating the new version of EndNote (EndNote 14/X4);
importing PDFs into records automatically;
- searching online databases;
- creating groups and sets.
Please sign up on our Learning Links Site.
After signing into Learning Links, click on Basic EndNote under the Library to enroll in the course. Once enrolled, you should receive a confirmation email. If you do not, this means you were not properly enrolled in the course. Let us know if you have any problems signing up!
EndNote X2 (EndNote 12) apparently has a problem importing 2010 dates properly. They’ve finally released a patch that remedies this issue. Please click here to update EndNote with the latest patch.
I recently created a version of LibX, a plug-in for Firefox and Internet Explorer, which allows the user to search the Fox Chase Cancer Center library catalog or Google Scholar directly by using right-click or “drag and drop” of any highlighted content appearing in an internet browser. Users longer have to go to a separate site to locate a book in our catalog or an article in Google Scholar when they find interesting topics serendipitously on the web. Even references within an article PDF can be highlighted and dragged to the LibX Google Scholar toolbar for quick retrieval. LibX can be used to search in a variety of ways, depending on the needs and searching style of the user. Please visit here for more information!
The Internet Explorer version of the plug-in isn’t working exactly right at the moment, so I recommend you download the Firefox version.